Roti Paung Kuala Terengganu 登嘉楼传统小面包

I spent a half day tour at Kuala Terengganu a couple of days back with hubby. It was one fine sunny day. However, not much photo taken and we only managed to stroll around Chinatown during our few hours stay. Well, at least I tried some lovely local food there.... toasted roti paung Terengganu, the famous pandan egg tart & the local curry noodle. Its actually the first day of the fasting season, so only fast food & Chinese food stall available here during the day (& Kelantan as well). Sadly, not be able to try the local Nasi kerabu !

Terengganu is celebrating Peranakan Terengganu Festival, as I saw banners hanging everywhere around town.

The famous batik of Terengganu and turtle watching.

The entrance of Chinatown, Kuala Terengganu. Just a few blocks away from bus express terminal. I'll have to say, Kuala Terengganu is such a clean city other than Kota Bahru, Kelantan.

This is one of the famous temple in Chinatown, Kuala Terengganu. Though this is just a short trip. I enjoyed every bit of it. I promised myself I'm going to try making the roti paung when I got home. And I did.

Ingredients : (straight dough)
410gm  all purpose flour
2 tspn  yeast
1 TB  sugar
1 tspn  salt
1 cup  water
1 egg, do not beat
60gm   butter, melted
**2 TB  all purpose flour (keep for later use)
**cooking oil for hand coating

Method :
(1) combine flour, yeast, sugar, egg, water, butter & salt into a big mixing bowl,  then stir to form a soft & sticky dough.
(2) now, add in the remaining 2 TB of flour and continue mixing till everything is well cooperated then set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(3) when ready, coat both hands with some cooking oil then press & punch dough to release excess air and continue kneading till smooth.
(4) place dough to slightly floured working table, divide them into 20gm each.
(5) again coating both hands with some cooking oil, then round dough and place them to a 9x13" greased tray.
(6) when done, leave dough to rest for 30-40 minutes.

Finally, bake at preheated oven 190'C for about 18 minutes. Remove from oven once its done then transfer to wire rack to cool.

In Kuala Terengganu, these little buns are normally comes in four to six buns each per serving with a slice of butter and one tablespoon of kaya (coconut egg custard jam). Refer here for homemade steamed kaya.

These are homemade roti paung. Hubby watching me with his big round eyes ! And I told him "Darling you're going to love these because I just polished off 12 of them !"  *wink*   wakakka........

Madam Bee's kitchen is one famous nyonya restaurant here. Off course, this is going to be on my list to do on my next trip. Hope you guys are going to have a great week ahead. Have fun !
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...