Smiling Mantou @ Moho Buns 莫哦贵

It was 2012 when I first attempted this smiling mantou @ steamed buns. I tried making it last year but failed to give me the happy face. haha..... I really have no time to go for further experiment at that moment and stopped working on it for a while. Since the Hungry Ghost festival is coming soon, I'm planning to make one batch this year offering to the 'Hungry Ghost'. >o<  And the buns are making me smile again !  Honestly, I haven't seen these buns sold around here before. However, according to Kenneth @ Guaishushu these mantou can still be found in Kuching, Dalat and Miri, Sarawak.

My beautiful blossom mantou @ moho buns !

Yet still many of them was wondering.... how could a simple dough like this can be turned into such a fantastic looking buns !

Ingredients :
Starter Dough
130gm  all purpose flour
100ml  water
1 TB  sugar
1-1/2 tspn  yeast
(mix all ingredients till smooth then rest for an hour)

Main Dough
300gm  all purpose flour
150gm  sugar
2 TB    shortening
100ml   water
1 tspn  vinegar / lye water
2 tspn  baking powder

Method :
(1)  mix together water, vinegar & baking powder and stir well.
(2)  now, place starter dough, flour, sugar, shortening & water mixture into mixing bowl and stir to form a soft smooth dough. Then set. aside to rest for an hour
(3)  when ready, punch dough to release excess air then knead till smooth.
(4)  divide dough into two portions, roll one portion into about 20" long rope shape and then flatten the other portion into 20x12" rectangle shape.
(5)  next, place the rope shape dough onto the flatten dough and roll it up like a swiss roll.
(6) divide into 6 portions by twisting each of them for separation and place each dough to parchment papers.
(7) rest for another 15 minutes and then steam for 25 minutes over high heat.

HOT... HOT.... HOT !!!!  Its steamy hot buns.

My buns are smiling at me. Clap... clap... clap..... I am one happy momsie again !

For the first batch, I've tried making it by rolling the dough directly into a swiss roll then divide into small portions for steaming. But it turns out without a smiling face. So, can you catch what I'm trying to say here !!! Yeap, its the rolling technique which keep the buns smile. And I hope I can keep you smile too. Have fun !
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...